NATIONAL AVOCADO DAY RECIPE
We've got your back with this recipe for National Avocado Day, July 31st. Featuring ripe and buttery avocado that contrasts with the freshness of lightly-seasoned wild shrimp, these Grilled Shrimp and Avocado Stacks make an excellent start to any summer gathering.
This recipe is Whole30, Paleo and Keto-friendly.
ABOUT CRISTINA CURP
Author, recipe developer, blogger, and all-around real food enthusiast Cristina Curp found healing and life-changing weight loss by ditching the diet mindset and discovering a lifestyle that nourished her from the inside out. Dealing with obesity and a painful auto immune disease most of her life, Cristina found out how to optimize her diet to get the most out of life when she jumped head first into ancestral health. This Nutritional Therapy student also has her own cookbook and a successful blog where she shares her recipe and personal journey with real food, The Castaway Kitchen.
CRISTINA CURP'S GRILLED SHRIMP AND AVOCADO STACKS
Are you ready for the perfect summer appetizer? This easy Whole30 recipe is perfect for National Avocado Day- it looks fancy and is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Get cookin' now!
*use wild-caught and organic ingredients whenever possible*
- 6–9 16 count wild shrimp (that means 16 shrimp to a pound, or jumbo shrimp)
- *I buy them shell and tail on
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 ripe hass avocado
- Clean and peel your shrimp. Use a scissor to cut a slit into the top of them. Use your fingers to remove the little black vein in them. Peel the shell outwards. It’s like unwrapping them. Leave the last segment and tail on.
- Do this with all the shrimp and place them in a bowl. Add in the salt, pepper, onion powder, coconut aminos and juice of one half of the lemon. Toss to combine.
- Heat your grill or your cast iron skillet on medium heat to temperature. Oil with a little more avocado oil and place your shrimp on the hot surface so they are all laying flat. Cook 3 minutes each side. Use tongs to flip.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat and let them cool while you prepare the avocado base.
- Scoop out your avocado into a bowl. Sprinkle in a little salt and the remaining lemon juice. Use a fork to gently mash-up, leaving some chunks in the guac.
- Set out three plates, or one serving platter. Use a cookie cutter or another 3″ round to shape the “guac cakes”. Do this by filling the round with spoonfuls of the avocado mix and gently pressing down, then sliding the mold straight up.
- Arrange your shrimp, 2-3 per guac round, tails up. Garnish with minced chives and lemon slices.
Did you try out this recipe? Tell us in the comments how you did! Have recommendations for an addition to this recipe? Let us know and don't forget to check back for more National Avocado Day recipes from your favorite recipe developers and Whole30 bloggers!
A huge thank you to Cristina from The Castaway Kitchen for sharing this summer recipe with us. Find more amazing recipes, lifestyle tips, and meal plans by connecting with Cristina on her blog, The Castaway Kitchen, and following her on Instagram @thecastawaykitchen.
Are you ready to tackle the Whole30 challenge for yourself?
Model Meals is the no subscription required, Whole30 Approved and 100% Paleo meal prep service that makes clean eating easy. Our menu changes weekly, arriving fresh and ready-to-eat, twice a week. We use organic and locally sourced ingredients prepared by professional chefs, packaged and delivered right to your door in sustainable, eco-friendly packaging, sending you text alerts all along the way.
Ready to get started? Use code FIRSTORDER at checkout and save $25 off $40 or more when you shop with us for the first time. We can't wait to serve you!
Not in our delivery area? No problem! Follow along with us as we share delicious recipes, blog posts, and other exclusive online content by joining our Model Meals family.