With sweater weather and cold season just around the corner, there is no better time to start boosting the immune system and preparing our bodies for the change in season. And while I love to make myself a warm cup of bone broth, not everyone is too keen on this warm elixir made from animal bones straight up. However, it does make for a gut supporting and immune boosting soup base. With two thirds of our immune system, 1,000 species and over 3 pounds of bacteria in the gut, this is the ecosystem we need to cultivate in order to ward off any invaders that may be around this flu season. You see we are discovering more and more about how our digestive system is linked to every other organ system in the body, and how diminished digestion can greatly diminish our wellness. This bone broth infused broccoli soup is not only a delicious and filling meal, but it will also help to feed and cultivate the good bacteria in your gut. The collagen in the bone broth helps to support the lining of the intestines, while the greens from the broccoli and spinach provide fiber and nutrient rich vitamins and minerals like vitamin A,C,E,K and magnesium plus phytonutrients like beta-carotene. All combined this soup is like one big multivitamin that is readily absorbed into the system and put to good use.
Here is a quick breakdown of what these vitamins can do once in your system:
- Collagen: support integrity and repair of digestive lining
- Vitamin A: increases productions of cells that increase resistance to infection
- Vitamin C: potent antioxidant that helps increase white blood cell activity and production of interferon (anti-viral)
- Vitamin E: protects vitamin A in the body and increases effectiveness of white blood cells
- Vitamin K: helps fight inflammation throughout the body
- Magnesium: Is required by 300 different enzymatic processes and needed in every part of the body system, more than any other mineral
- Beta-Carotene: enhance immune system and protect skin from UV radiation
All combined this bone broth infused broccoli soup provides a powerful punch of gut supporting and immune boosting nutrients.
*use organic ingredients whenever possible*
- 2 heads broccoli mostly crowns
- 4 Tbsp ghee
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 leeks - well rinsed and thinly sliced
- 3 carrots - diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups Model Meals Bone Broth
- 3 cups of water (less if you like a thicker soup)
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1. Melt the ghee in a large soup kettle. Add the onion, leeks carrots and garlic. Cook over low heat until wilted and onions are translucent.
2. Add the bone broth, water, broccoli heads, tomatoes and parsley. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes.
3. Clean the spinach or use the kind in a bag, and remove any tough stems.
4. Add the spinach to the soup. Stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook about 1 minute longer and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
5. Puree the soup ~ in batches in a high power blender or food processor.
6. Return it to the pot and heat through. Add the lemon juice and serve.
*Optional to add some raw cheddar cheese on top.
About Dani Ferguson, CN
Dani is a Holistic Nutritionist & podcast host of Detoxing with Dani. Her motto is Gut Health, Glowing Skin and a Gorgeous You. After years of struggling with digestive issues and chronic acne, Dani discovered her passion for nutrition and the ability of food to heal from the inside out. After graduating college Dani went on to get her education in nutrition and now works with clients to address their health issues head on, focusing on the root cause of their symptoms and developing a personalized program that suits their health and wellness needs.