By now you've probably heard of collagen powder or collagen peptides and the amazing benefits that adding a collagen supplement to your diet can have. So, what exactly is collagen?
Collagen is a naturally occurring protein that gives structure to the hair, skin, nails, bones, and ligaments of the body.
Unfortunately, this structural protein declines in over time, affecting the tissue that it makes up. When we take a collagen supplement, such as a powder or in other food, it can help support healthy hair, skin, nails, joints, and other related tissue.
But with so many health buzzwords and brands claiming to be the best, it can be hard to decide what supplements to use and exactly how to incorporate them into your daily health regimen.
Well, we've taken some of the guesswork out of adding in a collagen supplement to your diet with help from our friends at Primal Kitchen. Offering a wide range of Whole30 Approved sauces, dressings, mayos, and more, we jumped at the chance to play in our test kitchen with their Whole30 Approved Unflavored Collagen Peptides. The results were not only tasty but will also give you the collagen you may be lacking in this versatile and delicious strawberry collagen chia jam that we know you're going to love.
Strawberries provide powerful antioxidants while being packed with vitamins and fiber. We've combined them with nutrient-dense chia seeds in this recipe and high-quality collagen peptides to support healthy joint function and strong hair, skin, and nails, all while increasing the protein content of this jam. A few dates provide a mellow, natural sweetness, while the bright zest of fresh lemon juice adds extra Vitamin C and allows the strawberry flavor to develop. Give this simple and healthy recipe a try!
*Use organic if possible
- 2 Cups Strawberries (organic if possible), washed, quartered, and chopped. *Use whole berries for chunkier jam
- 1/2 Cup Filtered Water
- 3 Dates, soaked in a half cup of warm water for 5-10 minutes. Discard water before using dates
- 2 Scoops Primal Kitchen Unflavored Collagen Peptides
- 2-3 TBSP Chia Seeds
- OPTIONAL: 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Heat strawberries, water, chopped dates, and optional lemon juice over medium heat in a small saucepan until mixture reduces and thickens, stirring occasionally and mashing berries gently.
- Add 2 scoops of Primal Kitchen Unflavored Collagen Peptides and stir until combined over medium heat.
- Once mixed, remove saucepan from heat and add 2 TBSP chia seeds.
- Stir jam until chia seeds are dispersed and let sit for a few minutes to allow jam to thicken to desired consistency.
- If jam is too thick, add warm water 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- If jam is too thick, add additional TBSP of chia seeds and stir.
- Store jam in an air-tight, glass container and keep refrigerated for 1-2 weeks.
- Enjoy jam on top of sweet potato toast, top breakfast grits or oats with jam, incorporate into your favorite yogurt (dairy or non), or simply get that extra collagen in with our jam recipe in a way that fits your lifestyle!
While unflavored collagen from Primal Kitchen is Whole30 Approved, they also carry Paleo-friendly Collagen Fuel in Vanilla Coconut and Chocolate Coconut, perfect for adding to your favorite morning beverage or smoothie when off-round.
We decided to put a sweet twist on our unflavored collagen, but this flavorless peptide powder can be added into any sauces, soups, or beverages as needed. Visit PrimalKitchen.com for more and make sure to comment if you tried this recipe!
Are you ready to tackle the Whole30 challenge for yourself?
Model Meals is the no subscription required, 100% Whole30/Paleo approved, ready-to-eat, meal prep service you’ve been searching for. Our menu changes weekly, arriving fresh, not frozen twice a week.
We use organic and locally sourced ingredients prepared by professional chefs packaged and delivered right to your door in sustainable, eco-friendly packaging, sending you text alerts all along the way.
Ready to get started? Use code FIRSTORDER at checkout and save $25 when you shop with us for the first time. We can't wait to serve you!
Not in our delivery area? No problem! Follow along with us as we share delicious recipes, blog posts, and other exclusive online content by joining our Model Meals family.