ALL RECIPES ARE: WHOLE30* AND PALEO-FRIENDLY; WE USE NO GRAINS, GLUTEN, DAIRY, SOY, REFINED OR ADDED SUGAR, OR ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS IN ANY OF OUR MEALS OR RECIPES. EVER.
SWEET POTATO CHORIZO CHILAQUILES WITH WHOLE30 SOUR CREAM
Here in Southern California, chilaquiles, or a version of it, can be found at almost every breakfast or brunch spot and are a hearty and savory option for when you want a departure from typical sweet breakfast fare. If you aren't familiar with this traditional Mexican dish (you can thank us later), it usually consists of fried tortilla strips bathed in a red or green salsa, topped with cheese. While our Whole30 version looks a bit different with no dairy, grains, or sugar, it is every bit as flavorful and filling! Get ready to wow your tastebuds with this unique palate pleaser. We guarantee it'll become a go-to dish on or off round.
*use organic ingredients whenever possible*
For the Chilaquiles
- 5-8 oz Sugar Free Chorizo
- 1 Sweet Potato, washed
- 1 Pasture-raised Egg
- Compliant Salsa
- Fresh Cilantro
- Cooking Fat of Choice (ex: olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee)
- Salt and Pepper
For the Sour Cream
- 3/4 cup Coconut Cream
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Salt
Directions for the Chilaquiles
- Heat frying pan and add cooking fat of choice. Add chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally. Cook throughly and remove from heat.
- Thinly slice washed sweet potato cross-wise and cut slices into triangle shapes similar to chips. Toss in cooking fat of choice to coat and lightly salt. Sauté over medium heat in oil/ghee until edges of sweet potato are crispy.
- Heat cooking fat of choice in pan over medium heat and fry egg to desired doneness.
- Wash and chop cilantro.
- Layer sweet potato, chorizo, cilantro, and salsa on plate and top with fried egg.
Directions for the Sour Cream
- Combine coconut cream, fresh lemon juice, and salt in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Top chilaquiles with sour cream or dip chilaquiles into sauce.
- Store any extra sour cream in an air tight container in the fridge. Will keep 3-5 days.
This recipe is easily adapted to feed more than just one. While you will definitely have some sour cream leftover to store and use on other dishes, double or triple the chilaquiles recipe to impress your friends when you have them over for a fully Whole30 and 100% Paleo brunch date. Let us know if you've tried this recipe in the comments! How did it turn out? Stay tuned for more amazing Model Meals recipes💛